For those of you who have worked with me, you already have heard me preach the benefits of coconut oil. For those of you who haven’t worked with me yet, here are a just a few of the health benefits coconut oil has to offer:
1. It is antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal meaning it can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi, offering overall support to your immune system.
2. Coconut oil is thought to be a brain booster. Because coconut is made up of medium chain fats or ‘healthy’ fats, it is said to repair neural pathways and improve cognitive functioning and memory.
3. Coconut oil helps promote healthy blood sugar levels, making it great for diabetics and individuals fighting chronic stress.
4. When digested, coconut oil is used by the body for energy, not stored as fat. Studies have shown that because of this, it can even enhance athletic performance.
5. Coconut oil improves thyroid function, which influences every organ, tissue, and cell in the body.
6. Coconut oil, when used topically giving skin a nice glow and reversing the aging process.
7. Coconut oil has been shown to increase metabolism, in turn promoting healthy weight loss.
8. Coconut oil improves the body’s ability to absorb calcium and magnesium, supporting healthy bones and teeth.
9. Although there is still some speculation around this, coconut oil has been shown to have a favorable effect on total cholesterol levels, promoting a healthy heart.
A few ways I like to incorporate coconut oil are:
Cooking. I first starting using coconut oil when I was told that it has the highest flash point, meaning it can handle the highest heat before burning itself. I use olive oil until 350° and coconut oil for anything higher, such as homemade popcorn or roasting vegetables.
Baking. When baking I replace any fat called for in a recipe with coconut oil. It adds a richness and moistness to the final product….and health benefits.
Smoothies. I add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to my morning smoothies.
Skin. I put coconut oil on my skin every night before bed. My skin tends to be dry and responds really well to this especially in the winter. I also use coconut oil in place of baby oil on my skin when I get out of the shower.
Hair. Once a month I use coconut oil as a stay in conditioner.
And this is why coconut oil is one of my favorite things. Hope you like it too.
To Your Health,